YOUTH INTERNSHIPS FOR STRINGS
*Application Deadlines and Audition Dates for 2018-2019 Season*
Application form: click here
Application Deadlines depend on the concert cycles selected:
October 20 - application deadline for October 27 Auditions (may select December - April concerts)
November 24 - application deadline for December 1 Auditions (may select January - April concerts)
January 12 - application deadline for January 19 Auditions (may select March - April concerts)
March 2 - application deadline for March 9 Auditions (may select April concert)
Furthering Youth Music Education
- Several Internships worth $250 each will be awarded annually.
- Winners will rehearse and perform with the Fox Valley Orchestra.
- Internship stipends are to be used for private music instruction, summer music camps, or youth orchestra tuition.
- Eligibility criteria (below) must be met to receive an internship.
- Applicant must audition on either Violin, Viola, Cello, or String Bass.
- Applicant must be in high school or equivalent at the time of the audition.
- Applicant must be participating in their high school music program (if applicable).
- Applicant must have the consent of his/her high school music director, parent/guardian, and private teacher (if applicable) to apply.
- Applicant must have a high level of musicianship and musical maturity.
- Applicant must attend all Fox Valley Orchestra rehearsals and performances for the period of the awarded internship.
- IMEA three-octave scales, available for download here.
- One movement of a concerto chosen by the applicant.
- 7 minutes of own choice orchestral excerpts that best demonstrate applicant ability
Applications can be downloaded (link at top of page), requested by email via firstname.lastname@example.org
or via calling the orchestra office at 630-891-2525. All applications should be mailed to the orchestra address at 525 N Broadway, P.O. Box 2138, Aurora, IL 60507. Applications must include a non-refundable registration fee of $20 to reserve an audition time. Each applicant will receive a complimentary ticket to an upcoming FVO concert of their choice. Fees can be paid via cash or check made out to Fox Valley Orchestra. Once an application has been received, the applicant will be contacted with a confirmed audition time.
Scheduled Rehearsals and Concerts:
Fox Valley Orchestra rehearsal schedule varies, but generally rehearses four times before each performance.
(Sunday, Friday, Saturday evenings at 6:30, plus Sunday afternoon of the concert day).
Please do NOT apply for this internship if you know there are conflicts (e.g., school concerts, sporting events, family vacations) with the dates in the internship period(s) for which you indicate you are available. By signing your application, your school music director and parent/guardian acknowledge that you are able to attend all relevant FVO rehearsals and performances.
Internships are awarded solely on the basis of the applicant’s demonstrated musical abilities, availability for internship, and enrollment in high school. No consideration is given to any other factor, such as an applicant's gender, ethnicity, religion, disability, or economic circumstances.